Gilbane Cuts Ties With Indicted Parkside Construction
By Sally Goldenberg
May 31, 2018
One of the city’s largest construction companies said Thursday it cut its ties with Parkside Construction several weeks after authorities announced an indictment of the firm for wage theft and fraud.
Gilbane said it stopped employing Parkside after Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr., Gov. Andrew Cuomo and city Department of Investigation Commissioner Mark Peters announced an indictment earlier this month accusing the company and its affiliates of stealing $1.7 million in wages from 520 workers over three years.
In addition, they charged Parkside for workers’ compensation insurance fraud. A lawyer for the company denied the charges.
Union workers and politicians protested Gilbane’s ties to Parkside on Thursday morning, as the company relayed its decision to end its relationship with the company.
Gilbane spokesman Sam Spokony said the construction giant made the decision before learning of the protest outside one of its Manhattan projects.
“Gilbane is committed to ensuring safety and fairness for workers at our projects in New York and across the nation,” Spokony said. “We are no longer engaged with Parkside Construction at our 45 Park Place project and Parkside ended its work on the site last week.”
- Posted by admin
- On June 1, 2018
- 0 Comments